1.07.2007

Reading the New Testament in 2007

I’ll take a break from my heresy for some orthodoxy…

Take the number of days in the year (365), and multiply by 5/7, which roughly equals 260. Take the number of chapters in the New Testament (260), and you get a nice formula: read one chapter each work-day in 2007 and you’ll get through the entire New Testament by the end of the year. That gives you the weekends to consult the Greek, pray, memorize, reflect, etc. on what you read the week before. Since you’ve already missed Matthew 1-5, you should get going.

I also like the idea of picking a theme to focus your reading. For instance, I am looking at all the passages that deal with the question of what it means to be righteous. Maybe someone in the course of their reading could find those phantom passages that talk about hell for non-believers (see previous posts). My leading theory right now is that they are somewhere out there, hidden next to all of Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction.